Friday, September 17, 2010

A Must Read...




A couple of years ago I challenged myself privately to read those 'classic' stories, that are so often the subject of many 'intellectual' debates and conversations.  I myself am an avid reader and have been so all of my life!

However as a young girl I had been disinclined to read some such tales as they simply did not pique my interest at that time and then felt in later years as though I had possibly missed out greatly in a literary sense.  Although I would like to add that in my primary school years I was told by my teachers that I could not read the 'black labelled' books within free reading time in the school library, simply because I wasn't old enough!

I longed for those forbidden tales:  Lorna Doone, Oliver Twist, The Hound of the Baskervilles...My father questioned the school, but they would not allow an 'exception' in case of causing a revolt among students all wishing to read ahead of their 'correct level' (shudder the thought)!  My wonderful father soon gifted me with a beautifully illustrated edition of Oliver Twist for me to delight in!  Thanks Dad!

Where was I?....Ah yes!  To cut a long story short (No pun intended...Ha!) that brings me to my latest literary classic 'conquest'...Jane Eyre!  Oh how I have loved 'Jane Eyre'.  There truly was never such a tale!  I immensely enjoyed being whisked away over the hills to Thornfield Hall, being both shocked and romanced by Mr Rochester's behaviour toward Jane and the sense of kinship I felt with Jane herself!  I loved it so much and talked of it so often, that Amy was so intrigued, that she herself picked up an extra copy of the book we own and began to read the first pages.  Amy's reading of Jane Eyre did not progress past that first chapter...however I can remember some tales that were a little mature for me (The Hobbit was one such tale) tempting and testing me for years till I could finally understand them!

After I had finished Jane Eyre with a sense of relief; the suspense and intrigue left me breathless!  I began researching to find a 'great' adaptation to view.  I found one such one, which seemed to me to have the most positive reviews and I ordered it for our family to watch.  On the day it arrived Amy and I snuggled up on the sofa to watch it and we loved it!  Of course now the story holds no secrets for Amy, now she has watched the adaptation...but I'm sure she may still enjoy reading the story when she is a little older.

I do not wish to give a 'book review' here as there simply is too much to say without 'gushing'...but I will have to strongly insist that if you have indeed not read this wonderful tale, that you check a copy out of your library as soon as possible and make time to read it!    

A Christmas frost had come at midsummer; a white December storm had whirled over June; ice glazed the ripe apples, drifts crushed the blowing roses; on hayfield and cornfield lay a frozen shroud: lanes which last night blushed full of flowers, to-day were pathless with untrodden snow; and the woods, which twelve hours since waved leafy and flagrant as groves between the tropics, now spread, waste, wild, and white as pine-forests in wintry Norway.  
Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte


5 comments:

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

Jane Eyre was a very good story. I loved the ending!

Sarah said...

Oh Stacie, me too! Just today a friend loaned me a 'historical fiction' based on the life of the Bronte family, which I cannot wait to begin! If it is 'of note', I will post a review and recommend it!

Loved reading your birthday dedication to Marcus just now... they bring tears to my eyes!

God Bless Stacie

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I absolutely love that story, too. Period pieces are my favorites! After watching the Larkrise to Candleford series, I want to read the books now.

Erin said...

I just read that last year while in Ireland. I wrote a paper on Charlotte Bronte in high school and remembered really enjoying all that I learned about her. A few years ago I made a New Year's promise to try and read a few classic every year. I have been reading Jane Austen novels for the past year or so.

Taryn said...

I am looking forward to the new Jane Eyre movie. I've seen other Jane Eyre movies through the years. The book was great. As far as Jane Austen- I didn't like Pride and Prejudice(book or movie). My favorite of hers was Sense and Sensibility-the book and movie. I don't like C.S.Lewis and I've read most of his books. I don't like his friend Tolkien's books or movies. There is an article/book review on C.S.Lewis and other authors at keepersofthefaith.com.