Thursday, January 13, 2011

Megan Faith's Birth Story



The morning of 29th December Brian and I travelled to Wexford, to have another antenatal check up with our Domino midwifery team.  As they advised us the time before, we were asked if we had wanted to be induced over the New Year weekend; on account of our baby appearing to be very large.  Brian and I had discussed this matter much over the last week and had decided that we would decline to be induced at term.  In the end this decision was easy, but I had wrestled with it privately and prayed over it for a few days.  The last few weeks of being heavily pregnant had me in discomfort during the day and it worsened at night.  It was not uncommon for me to cry upon waking for being so stiff and sore; however Brian was a tremendous encouragement and support to me during this time.  So for the time being we were happy to go home and wait another week to see if I would start into spontaneous labour.  


The following day was the 30th; my official due date.  I was pretty certain that I would not go into labour on my due date because lets face it, how often does that happen?!  The day itself was largely uneventful.  Brian and I had decided to start looking into natural methods to induce labour rather than to be induced by invasive medical methods a week later, so we agreed to me taking an oral evening primrose capsule.  We had heard that evening primrose can act like a prostaglandin, and therefore can help labour to start; we were assured however that we would need to take it for a few days before I might go into labour.  

Wrong!

At 2:00am I was awakened by a sharp shooting pain in my lower tummy, and I thought to myself "Wouldn't it be funny if..."  That was as far as my thought went, as my waters had indeed broke!  I have never had my waters rupture on their own before so this was a first for me!  I poked Brian who was fast asleep behind me and told him.  "Are you sure?"  However he didn't doubt me for very long as my waters kept gushing so much that our bed was soaked!  Every time I moved more came so Brian fetched me a towel and I just sat there until it abated a little and then hobbled off to the bathroom!  Too much information I know! 

My mother was called and she came around immediately.  I changed and packed my bags into the car, and off we went!  From the time my waters had ruptured until we got to the hospital around 4:00am my contractions had been coming about every five minutes.  After checking into the labour ward I was hooked up to the monitors for twenty minutes or so...and wouldn't you just have guessed it; my contractions started slowing down!  Every seven minutes, ten, fifteen, twenty and finally every twenty five and then they began to decrease in intensity!  To say I was disappointed would be an huge understatement, I had reckoned on being home that very day!


I ended up staying there the whole day long.  When we finally got to the evening time I asked Brian to inquire as to whether I could return home for the evening...I was missing my children!  The particular midwife he spoke to came to see me and informed me that I would not be allowed to return home and that Brian would have to leave until the morning.  I was very upset at this news and burst into tears!  I was feeling very sorry for myself: away from my children, my husband sent away, the bed uncomfortable, way too hot and stuffy in a hospital environment (seriously do they not realise that there would be less hospital super-bugs if they just opened a window!)  The midwife seemed to be unsympathetic and a little cold which made me feel worse, which made me cry more, which made me cry even more!  It was right there that my wonderful husband stepped in and rescued me!  He organised a cooling fan for me (which I kept switched on all night!), cuddled me and mopped up my tears; he also brought me more yummy food, before going home for the evening!

After that I felt much better and resigned myself to stay the night.  I prayed for quite a while and read my Bible...my soul felt quieted and peaceful once more.  Several packets of sweets and sudoku puzzles later I was more than ready for a nice long sleep.

Whoops...wrong again!

The minute I lay my head down to sleep my contractions started up again!  Big ones!  I lay for a while until they got too painful and began to use the birthing ball to try and bring them on stronger; as I did not want things to go quiet again!  At around 2:00am I decided that I needed to avail of the 'gas and air' pain medication, so I pressed my buzzer for the midwife but alas it was not working...so off I waddled to find her.  Find her I did and she sent me off to the labour ward once more and provided me with the 'gas and air'.  I was then examined by a lovely midwife.  I was 3cm dilated and mostly effaced.  I thought I was in for another long day!

And again I would be wrong!

As the midwife left me she asked whether I needed any stronger pain medication;  I told her I was fine with what I had but that I would call if I needed anything stronger.  I called Brian and told him to come as I was really in labour now but that things would probably move slowly so to take his time.  Within twenty minutes or so I called him back telling him to "come now!"  And I went off to find the midwife again to ask for the epidural!  I think she thought I was being a little wimpy as I was fine only one hour ago...but they called the anesthetist immediately anyway.


The doctor arrived within a quarter of an hour to give me the epidural and by that time my contractions were very painful and strong.  But he soon fixed me up and pretty soon I was becoming pain free!  Then Brian arrived looking very excited!  I was so glad to see him.  Our midwife examined me again just two hours since she first examined me and I was fully dilated, however because I had, had the epidural so recently I could not yet feel the urge to bear down and push. 

So we waited...

Some time later our midwives changed shifts and we were issued in the charge of another lovely lady, who informed us that we would need to try and get baby moving.  I was beginning to feel some pressure to push with but not much, so I asked her to coach me through.  We worked so well together.  She had me alternating pushing on my side and back which was a first for me.  During my last labour I had joked whilst I was bearing down that I wasn't even breaking a sweat...boy was I in for it now!  Our baby girl was hard work!  I have never had to work so hard to get a baby out!  But only half an hour later little Megan Faith was born and placed onto my tummy to love and snuggle!  What a joyous moment!
 


7 comments:

sarah in the woods said...

Congratulations! She's beautiful. Thanks for sharing your story.

Chelle said...

Thank you for sharing your story. I only had one of my four naturally. The others I had C-section. Your baby is beautiful. Enjoy all the days you have her little. My little one is three now. I miss the baby stage.

His bondservant said...

What a wonderful birth story...so glad your husband made it back there in time. Although, I wish he could have stayed with you the whole time. You look lovely...especially after just giving birth! You baby is so precious. Look forward to seeing more pictures of her as she grows. My youngest will be five in February...I do so miss that sweet little cuddly baby stage. Enjoy it while it lasts. God bless you,
Jackie

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

I'm so glad you wrote down her birth story. She will appreciate it someday! Sounds like a long labor, but everything came out all right in the end - no pun intended ;) What a precious picture that last one is. Blessings to you and yours. Enjoy that sweet baby as the sleepless nights begin.

Hugs,
Jackie

traslados londres said...

beautiful story, a pleasure to read this..

Erin said...

I really don't like that, in Ireland, they don't let the husbands stay with you. I am so glad he made it back in time. And that your delivery went well. I sent you a Dayspring Congratulations Card, via e-mail, last week. Check your spam folder.

Zsuzsanna said...

Congratulations! She is absolutely gorgeous, and you are one happy, glowing Mommy!