Thursday, February 3, 2011

Adjusting To Life As A Family Of Five!




A Tired Looking Daddy With His Lap Full Of Treasures!

Our little Meg is now one month old and oh my didn't it go by fast!  Since her birth we have been very busy trying to keep our heads above water most days, particularly since Brian went back to work one week later.  This was my first time mothering a newborn with a toddler in tow and I can honestly say it is not for the faint-hearted!  However we are now well on our way into settling into a new routine as a family of five.

When we first brought Meg home Dylan's behaviour changed dramatically!  Normally our sweet boy is well behaved and well mannered whilst still being an energetic and exuberant!  But immediately we noticed that, while he was not showing signs of jealousy toward Meg; he was however being rather naughty!  Typically he would shout much louder than normal, act demanding and would disobey me in particular.  Normally he knows that Mama is not be trifled with when it comes to obedience...but he quickly realised that, whilst Mama is sore, can't move very fast and is nursing the baby, is a great time to get up to all kinds of mischief!  This behaviour caused Brian and I a lot of upset as we did not want to be too hard on him so soon after bringing home his new baby sister.  We hung on in there with gentle but firm correction and within the last three weeks his behaviour has returned to normal!  Phew!


Amy on the other hand has really blossomed once more in her role as big sister!  I think it is really just in light of the fact that she has done all this adjusting before.  She has been a fantastic help to me in completing some extra chores and being more self-governing with her school work in the early days.  In particular I have been most appreciative of the times she played and supervised Dylan whilst I was otherwise engaged tending to Meg.


Amy And Dylan Enjoying A Bedtime Story Together

As for me...well to be honest I struggled rather a lot in the first two weeks.  Part of this was due to nursing issues that were making me very emotional (I will post seperately about this)  It was a very humbling experience for me to realise that I wasn't superwoman!  I cried and prayed a lot!  I always make the same mistake!  I try too hard to make everything fit perfectly too soon and then when it doesn't work I beat myself up about it.  Hmmm...I'm such a slow learner at times!  

At present life is pretty fantastic!  I am loving my new role as a mother of three!  Now that Meg is settling into a routine I am enjoying delving back into my usual activities.  I am loving being able to read and pray with Dylan before he goes to bed, reading with Amy at lunchtime, keeping our home running well and spending time with my husband once more.  Some key things that are my 'sanity savers' at present:

  • Writing Amy's school work up a week in advance.
  • Ironing all our clothes the night before.
  • Cleaning the kitchen thoroughly each night, so as to not have to face it in the morning.
  • Working hard to establish Meg into a routine so as to have her sleeping the night as soon as is possible for her.
  • Preparing as much of dinner as I can whilst our two youngest are napping at lunchtime.
I know the newborn stage goes by so fast that we'll wonder were it went, so I am making sure to enjoy every minute.   I want to just now take the time to thank you all very much for the tonnes of emails we have had sending us well wishes and kind requests for a update on our family.  I hope to update soon on how our precious little bundle is developing so keep posted!


1 comment:

Stacie, A Firefighter's Wife said...

I've done the toddler/baby thing for 12 years. This is the first time I have have a toddler with no baby in tow. Very intestering and so much easier. We are having a lot of fun as a family and I am enjoying my toddler even more, I don't feel like I'm surviving it.

I'm glad things are going well for you! You guys look tired, but good!