Monday, April 18, 2011

Frugal Family Tips!




A lot of ladies I know often sigh at the the thought of having to go back to work, after the birth of a new baby.  It makes me so sad for these families.  Everyone loses out when mama's feel pressured to work outside the home.  Family life is so blessed when the mama is home full time!  So I thought I would address some ways in which a family can save money, to allow for the blessing of more children and for the mother to stay at home to care for her family:

  • Pray to our Lord Jesus Christ for your families needs!  You will be surprised at how your needs will be provided for!
  • Do not be too proud to accept donations of furniture, clothing, toys...etc.  Not because you may need to, but because it makes good sense.
  • You can save a lot of money by doing home haircuts!   When I used to colour my hair I used to do it myself at home and it always turned out nice.  Also most times now my husband cuts my hair!
  • Being a stay-at-home-mother means that you will save on travel, childcare, clothing and food expenses that you would incur if you worked.
  • Stop feeling as though you need to holiday every year...if you feel the need to 'get away' go camping on home turf!
  •  Buy a used family car that is in good condition.  Brand new vehicles depreciate in value immediately!
  • Learn how to do basic mechanics yourself to avoid unnecessary costs.
  •  Hang your laundry outside to dry were weather permits.
  • Mow your own lawn and wash your own windows.
  • Do not buy convenience or take away foods.
  • Buy used curriculum and story books.  Our family bought a car boot full of books last year for €40!  What a blessing for our family library!
  • Put  a stop to all greeting/birthday card purchasing.  Birthday cards can be seriously expensive so if you must send them, just send to your immediate family
  • Buy most/all clothes for your family from thrift/charity stores.
  •  Grow your own fruit and vegetables. 
  • If you cannot afford vet bills do not get a pet.
  • Research for better quotes on car, home and life insurances.  It pays to shop around.
  •  If you are a good seamstress (I am not!) sewing for your family could save you a lot of money on clothing and you would be able to tailor the clothing to suit your familys standards of modesty.
  •  Buying gifts for family at Christmas time in big sales throughout the year makes good sense.
  • It seems obvious, but turn off lights and any electricals when you are not using them.
  • Stay away from the doctors office.  Unnecessary costs for unnecessary drugs!  Educate yourself and keep your family healthy!


    9 comments:

    Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

    After our dog died, we decided not to get another pet and it is very freeing to not have that worry. Pets are expensive! Great post, my dear.

    Anonymous said...

    Some more top tips....

    Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.

    HOUSEWIVES. I find the best way to get two bottles of washing-up liquid for the price of one is by putting one in your shopping trolley and the other in your coat pocket.

    His bondservant said...

    Wonderful post Sarah! I have done just about all of these. And they truly are great ways to make it work. God does show us how to make things work when we obey His word!

    Sarah said...

    Thank you ladies! It is my hope that some ladies may find ideas here that may help them stretch one income further!

    God bless you both!

    Sarah said...

    Erm...thank you for the 'tips' anonymous! ;)

    Zsuzsanna said...

    Ha - the last one is my favorite!!! And not sure I will let my husband trim my hair... but lots of great tips, thank you!

    Bobbin Aubins said...

    Awesome post! I cut my husband and son's hair and it really does save:-) After my last baby my hubby went to get it done since he was in NEED of it, but hated the way it turned out.
    I love Christmas shopping thru the year too:-)

    Nicole said...

    I loved these tips. I was tempted to cut, copy and paste these onto my blog...but didn't :) They are great though, thanks so much for sharing!!!

    Sarah said...

    Thank you for all your kind comments!

    Bobbin Aubins - Yes, the home hair cutting really does save! In Ireland even Dylans hair would cost €8 a time to have buzzed and as for womens hair I think it can be anywhere between €25-50!

    Zsuzsanna - Haha, yes I used to be pretty nervous when he first started doing it! But he has gotten much better...he only cuts it straight across the bottom. Though I do go to a salon about once a year!

    Thanks Nicole!