Sunday, May 1, 2011

What's The Catch?




This week my husband asked me to call around several furniture stores, and collect quotes for a new mattress for our single (3ft) guest bed.  I rang around several companies; I actually learnt an awful lot about mattresses as I compiled my comparative list.  One brand was deemed by all as the 'king' of mattresses, with an extortionate price tag to boot!  One company actually quoted me €410!  A little while later at Brian's request I called another small company and asked my well rehearsed questions.  I was absolutely speechless when he quoted me only €175 for the same mattress!  I took down the details and thanked him for his time.

I stood there for a little while, probably with a dumbfounded look upon my face.  Why was his price waaaay cheaper than anyone elses?  I mean, if the mattress was so good why wasn't it expensive?  Why didn't I have to jump through hoops to get one?  I began to ponder on this.  Words like: stolen, damaged, illegal and faulty came into my suspicious mind.  I wondered ...whats the catch?

Hmmm...isn't this what unbelievers sometimes think when we share the gospel with them?  If we are honest with ourselves maybe some of us felt like this at one time also.  Certainly there are some Christian denominations that feel like this now.  Denominations that preach 'works based' or 'repent of your sins' salvation. 

Maybe they feel, that because the gift of salvation is so great, they must have to do something to earn it...surely?  Even people who do not profess to have any defined religion, assure themselves that they will go to heaven because they have been a good person...despite having no actual faith in Christ!  Most people who read here will know that one must only have faith in our Lord Jesus Christ in order to be given the gift of salvation.  And yes I really did get all of this from shopping for mattresses!

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. - Ephesians 2:8-9

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3-16

Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved. - Luke 8:12

And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the 
Lord shall be saved. - Acts 2:21

But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they. 
- Acts 15:11

And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?  And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. - Acts 16:30-31

Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.  For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life. - Romans 5:9-10

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.  For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. - Romans 10:9-10


For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. - Romans 10:13


Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; - Titus 3:5

So there you have it dear people...let us let go, of our suspicions and worldly assumptions. 

There is no catch!  Salvation is through faith in Jesus Christ alone!
Praise Him!



3 comments:

Katie said...

Amen ~ well said! Thank you for sharing this simple yet profound analogy! Blessings to you and yours today. =)

His bondservant said...

So very true. He is the only way to Heaven. And it is hard sometimes for non-believers to accept that they can do nothing to save themselves. Sometimes it overwhelms me with the sheer sacrifice of it all. Great post, God bless you my friend.

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Amen! Loved all those scriptures!!!