Monday, August 29, 2011

Apricot Scones Recipe





The kids and I made these about two weeks ago and they were SO GOOD, that I just had to share the recipe!  I just wanted to point out that when making these, make sure to buy the unsulphured dried apricots...they are the ugly looking brown ones, next to the golden toxic ones!   These scones are the nicest I've ever tasted, and were not in the least bit dry, I hope you enjoy them as much as we did!

Ingredients - (makes approx 18 scones)

450g - Self-Raising Flour
Pinch Salt
2 Tsp - Baking Powder
100g - Butter
100g - Dried Unsulphured Apricots (finely chopped)
300ml - Full Fat Milk (plus extra for glazing)

Method

  1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F or gas mark 4. 
  2. Sift the flour into a bowl with the salt and baking powder.  Rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs, and then stir in the apricots.  Make a well in the centre and gradually add the milk, stirring with a knife until the mixture comes together.
  3. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead lightly for a minute, then roll out to 2cm (I did ours to nearer 3cm so we could split them easily).  Cut out your scones using a round or fluted edge cutter, careful not to twist the cutter in or out of the scone mixture as this will discourage a good rise.
  4. Place scones on a lined baking sheet and brush the tops with a little milk and bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, until risen and golden!  Cool on a wire rack.  Then EAT THEM!! Yummmmm!!

 


4 comments:

Megan said...

Aww, look at little Meg! Such beautiful blue eyes. I love scones but I've never thought of using apricot. I love putting treacle and cheese in the mix - seperately, of course :)

Sarah said...

Thank you Megan! She is a cutie, isn't she?!

I've never thought about scones with treacle in the mix! Though the cheese ones, I hope to make up next week!

Elizabeth said...

These look wonderful! I honestly have never eaten a scone of any sort. They look very similar to what we southern United States-ers call a biscuit (not a cookie, of course)

They look like they'd be gorgeous with a cup of hot coffee on a cool autumn morning.

And to echo Megan, your Meggie is SO adorable. :-D

Erin said...

We're going to try and make these tomorrow. It's Labor Day here in the States so John has the day off. Unsulfured apricots are hard to find inexpensively in my part of East Texas, but I told the boys we could do it this once. They've missed having scones. As Elizabeth pointed out, they are similar to biscuits that we have here in the South, but I think scones have different taste.