Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Leftover Fry Up - Recipe





I LOVE this leftover lunch!  So much so, that I thought I'd share it, even though many of you may already know about it!  Basically we make this for lunch the day after we have had mashed potatoes, vegtables and some meat.  Usually for our family, this would consist of the following:

Ingredients

Mashed Potato
Cabbage (shredded)
Boiled Bacon (chopped) *note - I believe in the U.S, corned beef is used instead of boiled bacon*
1 Onion or Leek (sauteed/braised in butter)
1-2 Eggs (lightly beaten)
Ground White Pepper
A good splodge of Brown Sauce!

Method


Firstly I would melt a knob of butter, in a large frying pan and then saute the chopped onions till soft.  Then I would add the mashed potato, cabbage and boiled bacon and heat gently until everything is hot.  Next pour in your beaten eggs and stir through until all the eggs are cooked.  Add white pepper to taste *note - black pepper doesn't taste as good as white in this recipe* and brown sauce.  Ensure thoroughly hot.  Serve out onto a thick slice of homemade bread with an extra squirt of brown sauce!

This lunch is so TASTY, that you'll find yourself making extra mashed potatoes, just to make sure there is enough for this lunch the next day!  Enjoy!  :)


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is the sauce you are referring to the "Chef Sauce" they sell in Ireland? We don't have that available to us in the USA. :( I don't know what a similar replacement would be.

Katie said...

Wow, I'd never heard of this ~ looks scrumptious! Thanks for sharing. We hardly have leftover mashed potatoes (a fave around here), but if we do, I will keep this in mind. Yum!

Sarah said...

Anonymous ~ Yes it is the same as "Chefs Sauce". Though as I'm originally from England, I prefer "HP Brown Sauce", which we can also get here in Ireland. I'm not sure what you could substitute it for in the U.S?

Katie ~ Thanks Katie...my dad should take the credit for this recipe though, as he introduced me to it!

Our Family Is His said...

Sorry, have to chuckle.

Splodge, knob, serve out, brown sauce, boiled bacon.... all words you don't hear in the U.S.

Love it. What is brown sauce? Is it gravy? Is it a sauce for dipping like our version of A.1. or Hine's 57 Sauce? (if you can google those, not sure you know what they are).

Sarah said...

Our Family Is His ~ I did Google them...brown sauce is like a spicy dipping sauce. So you probably could use the Heinz 57 or A.1 sauce!

Anonymous said...

Dear Sarah,
That was me that left that comment before and I managed to find some Chef Sauce at a British Isles foods store when I was visiting relatives. I will try this now! :)

Hailey

Sarah said...

Hailey ~ Great...I hope you enjoy it! It really is so good! :)

Nikki said...

I am hoping that this delicious sounding dish makes it to our table soon. I could eat it right now and it just after 7:00 a.m here. Thanks for sharing the recipe with us.