Thursday, January 26, 2012

Can You Guess What This Is?




If you guessed an empty space then you would be right!

...

...


The empty space where our microwave used to be!

Yes, I finally just unplugged, and chucked it out...sometimes you've just got to take drastic action!  Yes, I could have just left it there unused...but the sheer convenience of the dratted device, was too much of a temptation for me.  So it's now gone!  Hooray!

Recently I had done a little (ok, a lot) of research on how microwave usage can be extremely detrimental to ones health:

Ten Reasons You Should Not Use A Microwave:


  • Micro-waved diets cause digestive disturbances.
  • The human body cannot metabolize unknown by-products created in micro-waved food.
  • The effects of micro-waved food by-products are permanent within the human body.
  • Male and female hormone production is shut down and/or altered by continually eating micro-waved foods.
  • Minerals, vitamins and nutrients of all micro-waved food are reduced so that the human body gets little or no benefit, or the human body absorbs altered compounds that cannot be broken down for utilization.
  • The nutrients in vegetables cooked in a microwave oven are altered into cancerous free radicals.
  • Micro-waved foods cause stomach and intestinal cancers.
  • The prolonged eating of micro-waved foods causes cancerous cells to increase in human blood.
  • Continual ingestion of micro-waved food causes immune system deficiencies through lymph gland and blood serum alterations.
  • Continually eating food processed in a microwave oven can produce virtually irreversible damage to the body’s nervous system by “shorting out” electrical impulses in the brain and nerve centers. This can result in the loss of memory, lack of concentration, emotional instability and decreased intelligence.
 
      Our family also learned a lot about microwave usage and effects on this website ( there are many related articles if you scroll down).

      To be honest, I was worried that I would find it hard to manage, without the convenience of the microwave.  You see, as I reached an age where I could begin to help with the cooking at home, my parents had already bought a microwave, so I have always been used to having one in the home.  Until I met my husband, I had NEVER made either porridge, or scrambled eggs in a pan!  Poor guy!  ...But I'm happy to report that I haven't experienced any of the "inconveniece" I thought I would.  Re-heating dinner is so easy on the stove top, or inside the oven!  Who'd have thunk it?  And if I can do it, anyone can!  No more cancer-ridden food for us!


      11 comments:

      Amanda said...

      Thank you for this post! I'm not actually a frequent reader of your blog (though I do enjoy it!), but your title caught my attention. Our family is taking baby steps to a healthy, organic lifestyle and the question of a microwave has been tugging at our thoughts. We currently only use it for re-heating, but I think we're ready to take the big "no microwave" plunge! I can't wait to show my husband this post. :)

      Thanks again!

      Jessi said...

      Good for you for tossing it out! We got rid of ours years ago. Your kids will grow up much healthier without one!

      Chelle said...

      I hope to do the same thing soon!! When we redid our kitchen I left it in the old part that was the kitchen 9which is now my laundry room). I told my husband I wanted to get rid of it. He said lets not yet. I haven't been using it so I'm hoping to let it go. My M-I-L thinks I'm crazy.

      Our Family Is His said...

      We have one but I have stopped using it. Food just tastes so much better when it's not "nuked". Really, our society isn't in such a hurry that it can't use a slower heating source. And if it is, we need to reassess our activities and schedules.

      Sola said...

      Wow, that's really interesting!

      You might want to check out dihydrogen monoxide too. It's a substance which is in every Western home! Very dangerous, if you inhale it, it can be fatal. There are many documented instances of people dying after exposure to dihydrogen monoxide, and it its gaseous form, it can cause very severe burns instantly.

      Check it out, it's much more dangerous than microwaves.

      Stellar said...

      Congrats! My old roommate broke my microwave, but it was a blessing in disguise. I now never use a microwave, and my food tastes so much better! Have you noticed a difference in taste at all? I love cooking on a stove/oven so much better.

      Bobbin Aubins said...

      Never had eggs in a microwave before! :-) I had some that tasted like powder on a flight before, maybe that's where they cooked 'em..... I grew up cooking g. meat and hot cereal in it tho, but have since changed. Not just to be healthy, but it turns out tastier and a better texture. Not to mention that with 5 kids that eat table food it would take forever to cook up their cereal in a microwave:-)

      Sarah said...

      Amanda ~ Great new that you are thinking of "unplugging" too! Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment! :)

      Jessi ~ I'm sure they will too...they are thankful to be without it already, as they know that it was bad for our health! Also I just wanted to thank you for your review of "Slow death by rubber duck"...my husband and i are in the process of reading it! Scary!

      Chelle ~ My husband HATED the microwave, but was hestiant of letting it go at first also. I sure hope you can ditch yours soon! My in-laws have similar thoughts about me too! ;)

      Our Family Is His ~ I know, and as Bobbin Aubins points out below...heating bowls of porridge one at a time probably takes longer in fact! I'm impressed by your discipline, in not using it!

      Sola ~ I'm SO glad that you left your comment. Scary! We've known about this substance for quite some time. In fact I'm always reminding my children to be careful with it! Although, (you might not know this) it is actually very good for you (not to mention refreshing!) when ingested in cold liquid form, with a slice of lemon! Crazy huh!?!!

      Stellar ~ My kids HAVE noticed the difference in taste! Our oldest daughter said that her morning porridge tastes FAR better, than when we used to serve it "nuked"! :)

      Bobbin Aubins ~ I never thought microwaved eggs tasted powdery...but eggs cooked in the pan are SO much better! And I totally agree with your last point...and I don't even have so many kids!

      Thanks for your comments! :)

      Jessi said...

      HA, my family mocks me all the time for my "crazy" health concerns.

      Another thing I have learned about recently is cell phones, and cordless home phones. They produce radiation, and there has been a increase in brain cancer from when they came out, especially in children. Most people would NEVER give up their cell phones, but we hope to soon and just keep it for an emergency, and leave it shut off. When a cell phone is on, it is producing radiation within 10 feet of it. Here is a link if your interested. Wireless internet like WI FI also does this a lot worse! Scary.

      http://www.radiationeducation.com/How_To_Protect_Yourself.html

      Anonymous said...

      My goodness, you really are an idiot, aren't you Sarah?

      Sheesh.

      With a dunce like you "educating" them, your children will end up as dumb as rocks and twice as useless.

      Elizabeth said...

      Guess what! The same day you posted this I talked with my husband about kicking the microwave habit. The next morning we got rid of it.

      Although I was really nervous, it has been such a blessing! My bunch always hates eating leftovers and I do too. I didn't realize how much better food tastes when cooked and not just zapped. Everyone loves eating leftovers now! Thanks for the inspiration.