Just last week, our family arranged to go to a local theatre production, of "Goldilocks And The Three Bears". We have watched quite a few pantomimes and musicals in our town before, and they were all brilliant. We love to see the hard work of those involved coming together to make a spectacular evening for local families to enjoy!
Given the title of the show, I'm guessing that most would assume the production would be clean, and family friendly...well it most certainly wasn't. My husband and I are so angry, about what we, and our children saw last Wednesday night. Here are a few of the "highlights":
- Goldilocks' "boyfriend" was played by a another girl...in leather hot pants and high heels? The two skipped about on stage confessing their undying love for one another, and making plans for their marriage? What, are there no boys in our town, who could play the part in trousers?
- Young teenage dancers were dressed up in "Britney Spears style" school uniforms and showed off their underwear in every dance routine (save one). I'm sure these girls worked very hard to learn their routines...but it was sad to see them being exploited by the people who should be protecting them. The mothers of these girls ought be ashamed, for not guarding their daughters purity.
- There were jokes a plenty about viagra, the marital bed, adultery and mens private parts. Obviously an important ingredient in a family show.
- Baby Bear kept "hitting" on Goldie. Which was incredibly gross, considering the guy in the bear suit was about fifty and the girl playing Goldie was seemingly in her late teens or early twenties. Yuck!
- Oh, and I just loved how Daddy Bear sang "Don't be a drag, just be a queen...I was born this way"! Apparently this is a current chart song, sung by a hideous pop singer. Perhaps they were hoping to "educate" our children that being a queer is normal? Urgh!