Sunday, March 25, 2012

Cheesy Whirls - Recipe




Megsie And Grandad, Eating Cheesy Whirls!

Cheesy whirls are SO delicious that you soon get absolutely fed up of making them!  Every time there is a party or pot luck dinner someone will always request them!  It is not the healthiest recipe I use, but did I mention that they are very tasty!  These are such a family favourite, that Amy is absolutely aghast at the thought of me sharing the recipe with you all...sorry Amy! ;)


Ingredients (I usually double or triple this recipe and either freeze half, or serve more people)

One small/medium finely shredded onion (I shred mine in a baby food processor)
One pack of puff pastry *no I don't make my own, puff pastry is quite beyond me!*
2 Fresh eggs
150g Dehydrated potato flakes
200g Grated cheddar cheese
Handful of chopped fresh parsley (optional)

Method 

Preheat your oven to: 180C/355F/Gas Mark 4.  Place all the ingredients into a large bowl, and add enough hot boiled water to mix to a stiff consistency.  This sounds easy, but can be tricky to get the right consistency; too wet and you'll have a hard time cutting the roll with your knife, too stiff and you won't be able to spread it over the pastry.  

Roll out the pastry as shown below, and spread your mixture all over using a fork; leaving a small margin all around.  Using your fingertips moisten the margin with water.  Next roll up your pastry and mixture like a swiss roll.  I usually roll it about a little to lengthen it if necessary and pat in the pastry on either end.  Using a large, sharp, floured knife cut into pieces about 1" thick.  

Re-shape and pat down each cheesy whirl slightly on a floured surface, and place on baking trays lined with baking paper.  You will need to space them out a little; I usually do 8-10 on a large tray.  Brush the tops with a little milk and pop them into the oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.  

This recipe makes around 15'ish individual cheesy whirls.  Additionally they can be frozen cooked or uncooked, so they are perfect to make ahead of time for a large crowd, and simply cooked from frozen on the day! 





The Ones On This Tray, Had Just Come From The Freezer

 

"No Grandad, I'm Afraid It's All MINE!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I Hope You All Have A Wonderful Week!


6 comments:

~SALLY~ said...

YUM!! Looks soo good! I will have to find a way to convert it to US measurements (is that what you call it? LOL!) so I can make these too! Thanks for sharing. :)

Sarah said...

Sally ~ You made an excellent point about the measurements! I should have spotted that one...I just did a quick google search, and apparently:

150g = 5.29oz
200g = 7.05oz

The original recipe (given to me by my Nan) called for 8oz of cheese and slightly more potato too...but I always found that I ended up with too much mixture.

Let me know if you get around to trying them!

Chelle said...

Looks really yummy!

Elizabeth said...

These really do look scrumptious. Hope to try them very soon.

We Americans also tend to prefer volume measurements in instances where weight measurements would be more accurate. In this case (and hopefully this is right), 150g of potato flakes would be about 2/3 cup and 200 g cheese would be about 2 1/2 c shredded cheddar (with about 80g being 1c).

I like to weigh most things. For me, it tends to be more accurate. I mean, you can pack flour loosely into a 1-cup measuring cup and get only 100g or pack it tightly to get 150g. My measurement can be 1/2 a cup off, but still fill up the measuring cup. But 125g is always gonna be 125g.

Once again I've gotten off on a tangent...and shown my geeky side that loves the metric system in a country that hates it. LOL!!

Nikki said...

Those do sound yummy. I was going to Google a conversion but now will not have to. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

Sarah said...

Chelle ~ Thank you! :)

Elizabeth ~ Ha! We are totally opposite on this point, because I HATE metric! I actually prefer to use cups; too much precise weighing "does my nut in"!!! ;)

Nikki ~ No problem, hope you get to try them out!