Saturday, July 28, 2012

A Trip To The Doctors...



Just this last fortnight our sweet Meg has been showing all the signs of seasonal, or allergy-induced asthma. :(

Due to the high pollen count at this present time of year, all of us are admittedly sneezing and sniffing mostly all day long!  Poor Meg has been mildly wheezing (mostly at bedtimes) and having that cough.  On Friday evening, I discussed with my husband that I would like to take Meg in to the doctors, once the weekend has passed to have her checked out, he agreed.  We could not take Meg in until Monday as our doctors offices are only open Saturday and Sunday for emergencies only.

However Friday evening I decided to intervene and help her breathe better, by administering one puff of my own Ventolin inhaler, into her open mouth.  The wheezing stopped and she slept soundly all night...no wheezing until the next evening.  We continued using this "treatment" until we could get an appointment at our doctors office.

My husband and I waited with Meg for almost three hours!  Happily our own Dr Dead-Slug was on holiday, and a sweet lady doctor was covering his absence.  Dr Lady was so sweet, but seemed inexperienced.  To cut a long story short, Dr Lady detected no wheezing when she listened to Meg's chest with the stethoscope, but seemed happy to take my word for it, for which I was grateful.  She prescribed a Ventolin inhaler exactly like the one we had already been using, however my husband and I were surprised when she also prescribed a three month course of steroids (via an additional inhaler).  We questioned whether this seemed a little extreme for seasonal asthma, she explained that this was a normal recommendation.  *eye-roll* 

Needless, to say we didn't pick up the steroids, but we are happy to use the Ventolin for Meg, as and only when needed.  I was told that for babies, doctors normally give a "mask" of sorts to help administer the medication...but the doctor was happy for me to continue administering the medicine as I already had been.  I'm also happy to report that Dr Lady did not berate us for not vaccinating...in fact it never even came up!!! 

At this point Meg has used the inhaler most nights since; one quick dose of the Ventolin seems to check the wheezing very quickly.  Given that Meg's breathing issues are mild, my husband and I wish to look into managing breathing treatments with a natural approach.  I found many articles on Mercola.com very helpful...although I disagreed with the advice given regarding boosting vitamin D levels, with "safe" tanning bed exposure?!??  A fellow blogger has written this great post (one in a four part series) on this topic.  I hope to be able to research and discuss some remedies with my husband over the next few evenings, and look into managing Meg's asthma (however long it lasts) with something natural, and only use a regular breathing treatment when necessary. 


5 comments:

Chelle said...

Hope Meg gets better soon. I know how you feel. I have asthma and so does one of my sons. I give mine Yerba Santa comb. It really helps him. I do have an inhaler on hand when it gets bad.

Sarah said...

To the last few commenters:

Our doctor actually said I was "inspired" (her words not mine) for administering my own asthma medication to our daughter.

In my post I stated Meg was "mildly wheezing" at bedtimes...I'm not sure how you came up with the notion that she was "gasping for breath"

Other mothers informed me of the "mask"...THE DOCTOR thought it un-necessary for Meg as I was already able to administer the inhaler with no problems.

Thank you for your concern.

Elizabeth said...

Hey, that blog post was mine! I feel special!! We have added a few more herbs to our "arsenal" since I wrote that post. If you're interested, let me know. :)

Anyway, here in the States the pollen was especially bad. If you remember, Ethan wound up in the hospital. We have even had to use the meds a handful of times this year. Josiah has also had asthmatic symptoms. You mentioned Meg having that cough. Yes, I know all too well about that cough. Funny how it is so distinctive, isn't it?

I think you did right foregoing the steroids. Doctors typically just regurgitate what their boards recommend. I agree that a 3 month regimen was overkill. The longer you use them, the more you need them. People can say what they will, but it is TRUTH!

When we got Ethan's nebulizer it came with 3 devices to administer inhalants: a pacifier, a mask, and the typical "pipe" looking thing. The mask was recommended for Ethan's age, but he had no trouble using the adult devices. Doctor told us that as long as he was having no trouble using it, it was fine.

Always refreshing to have a doctor not berate you about vaxxing. Our (current) doctor hasn't either.

As for the haters...people are just gonna hate. You knew what was wrong with Meg. When you had done all you could you took her to someone who could help. The doctor obviously didn't worry too much over the ordeal, so why is anyone else other than to just try to tear you down?

Sarah said...

I was grateful for your posts Elizabeth! Even though I understand some about the causes and regular treatments from my own experience...I had NO IDEA how to treat asthma naturally. I would love to hear about the other herbs you now use. Thank you for being such a help to us! :)

In reference to the steroids; my mother told me that she had always refused them for me when I was a child. Doctors gave her terrible lectures about it, saying she was "in denial" about my asthma! She said she just "knew" that they would be bad for me and perhaps keep my lungs in a weakened state. Of course if my breathing was difficult she would give me my dosage of Ventolin, but only as and when needed.

I credit my mothers care with the reason why my asthma is now very mild...I only need to use my meds for about 2-6 weeks per year. Loving mothers really do know what is best for their children.

As for those commenters who left negative remarks:

"But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?

Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect" ~ Matthew 5:44-48 :)

Katie said...

Will keep sweet Megan in my prayers, Sarah!! =) Also ~ love the new treehouse! We just moved into a house, and my hubby bought a book with some treehouse plans. Fun!

Thanks for your encouragement on my post today too!! To God be the glory! Keep praying for our nation please ~ we have fallen far far away from God! Praying for your country too. ♥

Blessings my friend,
Katie