Monday, July 2, 2012

My First Ever Successful Attempt...




...At making a skirt for Meg!  It can be VERY hard to find pretty skirts for little girls (or any female for that matter!) in regular shops; only in summer can I usually find them, and then they are usually short and yucky!  I did try sewing one myself once before, but it went horribly wrong!  I have decided that I had better learn to sew, so I can custon make some nice things for our family, and so that I can teach my own children how to do it also.  No time like the present to start learning!  So I dusted off my sewing machine and steeled myself...
 

Being a beginner-beginner, I used Amy's "Stitches & Pins" book to direct me as I went.  It is a great book to use, as anything more "adult" sends me into a tail-spin!  I need something b.a.s.i.c!  I used the fabric from an old blue Laura Ashley dress for the skirt; I think the design is very pretty. 

Meg looks as cute as a button in it!  She wore it for church this past Sunday, and for the family portrait we had taken before we went!  I was so happy with how it turned out; so happy in fact, that I'm already planning to make her many more!



9 comments:

Nikki said...

I was just wondering the other day if your little Meg would wear a skirt? I told myself that I would have to look more closely. :) I think you did a WONDERFUL job on her skirt. It turned out very nice.

Chelle said...

You did a wonderful job. Looks so cute.

Elizabeth said...

The fabric is really cute! Great job!!

Elizabeth said...

The skirt looks super great! Excellent work. I also really like the fabric you picked out. Can't wait for some photos of Megsy wearing the skirt!!

Elizabeth said...

Did I already comment on this post? I think I'm losing my mind...

Nicole said...

Sooooooo precious! You did a great job, Sarah!!!

sarah in the woods said...

Good job. I don't sew and have a hard time finding dresses for my oldest daughter. Maybe I should learn.

Aurie{OurGoodLife} said...

It's adorable :) Great job!!

1HappyWife said...

The fabric is very pretty! Looking forward to seeing more of your sewing projects :).