Monday, August 27, 2012

Schultüte ~ School Cones!



We are not of German descent, neither are any of my children starting 1st grade,but I just loved these german school cones, when I saw them on another blog a while back.  They are traditionally given to german school children upon entering first grade, as a gift to help them adjust to starting school.  They are usually filled with school supplies, stationery, sweets and other nice things.  I thought they were SO cool, that I sacrificed a couple of hours of my precious time (that I could have spent doing chores)...and made a schultüte for each of my children!

It was hard to find any directions online, so I looked on the afore linked blog and google images for picture ideas and got started.  Being the dedicated blogger that I am, I took pictures the whole way through, so as to provide b.a.s.i.c guidelines for anyone else wishing to make them...


I selected two pieces of card...


Next I taped them toegther, to make one large sheet...


My helper Smelly-Belly!


With a piece of string tied to a pencil,
 I drew a curve at the top of my card and cut it out...


Starting from the botom left edge I rolled my card up into 
a cone and secured it with tape (the peg just helped a little)...


Cones for Amy and Dylan


Next I glued a double layer of tissue paper inside the cone...


Then I decorated it, (I hope to do better next year)!


I popped a small amount of tissue paper in the bottom 
of the cone, to fill up the pointy end


A sample of what I put into each...
I also added sweets and a few other small novelty items


I Made The Ladybird One For Amy
 And The Lamb One For Meg

************************************************

The Evening Before The Start Of Our New School Year!



Eyes Closed And NO Peeping!

 

Meg Wasted No Time When She Found Her Chocolate Bar!


"SWEETS!!"
 
 

 


Happy Students!


6 comments:

Nikki said...

Those came out so nice. :) What a neat idea.

Lillian said...

These came out really great; it is great to see that KinderCones are catching on here in the US. I started this company when my first daughter started school and see more and more families celebrate the first day of school. Your craft came out nicely, if you would like to see many more pictures of the "olden days" with kids and their KIndercones you can go to my website kindercone.com.
Best,
Vivian

1HappyWife said...

Those are so neat! They came out just adorable :). The kids all look like they are having so much fun.

Jessi said...

What a great idea, I love it!

Sarah said...

Thank you! My kids loved them and Amy said it was "just like Christmas", which makes me think that I may like to do them most years or perhaps a litte variation.

I guess it just a fun way of presenting their school supplies and making the starting a new school year F.U.N!!! :)

sarah in the woods said...

Fun idea!