Saturday, November 17, 2012

The Day We Made Sushi...





Okay, so these pictures are from about a month ago!  I'm terribly slow at blogging this year...but I'm hoping that you'll still enjoy this post anyway! ;)  As you'll remember Dylan is studying "Galloping the Globe" as part of his schooling and we are all enjoying learning about each continent/country as we go.  So last month we studied Japan!  Eventually the day came, that we were supposed to cook something from the Japanese cuisine!  Sushi was requested.  As I had never made sushi before, I was not looking forward to this part of our study, since I figured on it being very difficult!!!  



However I was totally wrong, making sushi was easy!  As Dylan was helping my husband with some outside chores, only Amy helped with this dinner, and she was a natural at rolling and cutting the sushi!  We only used one type of filling for our sushi, as that seemed to be the cheapest, nicest and easiest way to do it.  Normally we do not buy any type of salmon (unless we are fortunate enough to find freshly caught, non-farmed salmon), however we made an exception this one time, but made sure to buy organic at least. 

Being unaccustomed to making sushi for a family dinner, I was a little puzzled as to what would be a sufficient amount to make for our evening meal...so we made erred on the side of caution a lot!  This turned out to be such a blessing, as our adult nephew was visiting and decided to stay for dinner, for his first taste of sushi!    



Yum!  What a delicious dinner we enjoyed!  We ate tonnes of sushi, as well as fried leeks with sesame on the side, there was also plenty left over for lunch the next day!  My husband played a nasty trick on our nephew however and advised him to "lash on" the green (wasabi) sauce, "as it really brings out the flavour"!!  Poor guy nearly choked!!  Until the next time, on our culinary adventures around the globe...








3 comments:

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Those turned out beautifully! Good for you for trying something totally out of the ordinary. Those do look really easy to make :)

sarah in the woods said...

I've never had sushi but that looks good . . . And fun!

Nicole said...

Looks great, Sarah! I bet that was a lot of fun to try. My sister loves sushi and got Jada loving it...they make it together often :)
Hope you are doing well. Thanks for the "non publish" comment you left. I really appreciate it and will likely use it in a testimonial section sometime. Thank you!!!