If you're a regular reader here, you'll know that I am on a mission to learn how to sew! So far it has been a difficult and slow process. At the beginning, even sewing in a straight line was a challenge, and still can be! I find dress making patterns very difficult to understand, but like I said I am determined to learn! Just ask my family and they'll tell you, if I am determined about anything, it WILL happen!
A couple of weeks ago I found a pattern that I liked online, so I ordered, printed and pieced it together. Just doing that was an ordeal in and of itself! Because my sewing skills are minimal at best, I thought it best to try out the pattern first using curtain liner, and that way if I made a total mess of it, it wouldn't be a huge loss. So that is what I did.
I began one day afternoon, when Meg was napping and Dylan was out with my husband. Amy was doing school at the kitchen table and we took turns helping each other! We had a lot of fun! When something confuses me, I have to literally talk to myself in order to help me make sense of it, so there I sat reading my pattern, talking to myself and trying to understand. Following each step very carefully I began...
The most frustrating parts of following the pattern, were those times were I had read the instructions and they made NO SENSE at all, so I would go to the picture and that was confusing also! This was the part of sewing the interfacing fabric to the bodice; I had no idea which way around everything was supposed to be, but thankfully with much re-reading, talking aloud and laughing I finally managed to do it! Phew! During this process it was great to have other experienced ladies online, of whom I could quickly ask advice. The most difficult part of this pattern in my opinion was sewing in the zipper! So frustrating!
In other news; I have begun sewing Amy a small quilt. It is simply two blankets (one piece of soft flannel and one piece of minky) hand quilted together, with a satin ribbon edging. Nothing terribly complicated, but they are very nice when finished and simple to make. It is my wish to make one of these for each of my children. Meg already has one that a friend made for her, and I made Dylan's one last year (you can read about that here).
In the last two weeks, I have completed two dresses for Meg. The first, I made from fabric that I ordered from the Ribbon Retreat - they are my favourite company as it is cheaper to order from them in the U.S, than it would be to order the exact same things from the U.K! That dress has now been put away for Meg to wear on Resurrection Sunday. The second I made with lovely green and blue plaid, that our Pastor's wife kindly gave me. I did do much better on that last one, and didn't make as many mistakes! Meg will be wearing that dress for church tomorrow, she'll be super cute!
For my next sewing project, I have my sights set on learning how to make a ladies nightgown; and have my eye on a particular pattern, but it will have to wait until my other projects are finished. This is just one of many reasons why my poor little blog is sadly neglected these days!
I Hope You All Have A Wonderful Day Tomorrow In The LORD's House!