Friday, May 31, 2013

Homemade Raw Ice-Cream




A couple of weeks ago, the kids and I made some DELICIOUS homemade ice-cream!  We skimmed our cream and saved it in the freezer for a few days, until we had enough to work with.  The few days waiting for our supply to build up, really increased the kids excitement...okay, and mine too! 



Homemade Raw Ice-Cream
(taken from "Nourishing Traditions" ~ Sally Fallon)

3 Cups of Raw Cream
3 Eggs Yolks
1/2 Cup of Maple Syrup
1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
1 Tbsp Arrowroot Powder

Method

Beat egg yolks together and blend in the remaining ingredients. 
Pour into an ice-cream maker and process according to the manufacturers instructions. 
Our ice-cream took about 25 minutes before it got to the "soft-scoop" stage, at which time we transferred our mixture into a tub and put it into the chest freezer for a couple of hours.


Taste Testers!


Because we used pastured eggs from our own hens, our mixture was deliciously yellow in colour (more so, before it was frozen); these pictures don't show the colour well enough at all, so you'll just have to take my word on that!

Most days I do not skim the cream from our milk, but now and then I do, to make other yummy things such as butter, ice-cream or simply use the cream for soups or desserts.

Also, on the day we made our ice-cream I didn't have any maple syrup on hand, so we used raw cane sugar instead.  Other than the addition of the sugar, this recipe makes ice-cream practically a health food in my opinion! 


Yummy!


4 comments:

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

Yep, that is the same recipe I use and it is always a hit. The only thing I changed is instead of using maple syrup, I use sucanat. If only people knew how easy it is to make yummy, healthy ice cream! Oh, and the flavor possibilities are endless for this recipe :)

Karen R. said...

Oh I am so glad you posted this! I bought an ice cream maker yesterday and was looking for recipes. I am making banana ice cream right tonight but will try this tomorrow with the sucanat. I wish we had a cow (maybe one day) because the cream I buy is expensive but still way more cost effective than buying a some what decent kind at the store. I can't wait to actually try it.

Jenny said...

It looks lovely! Must have been fun to make too! x

Nikki R said...

Sarah,
Your ice cream looks delicious. When our cow is back into milking (soon) we will try your recipe! Thank you for sharing! :) I have been thinking of you a lot lately. Hope all is well in Ireland.