Friday, October 11, 2013

I Will Sing Unto The Lord...



I LOVE to sing!  Admittedly, I'm not the best singer in the world, but I do love to sing praises to our wonderful God, as I go about my daily activities.  I love to hear my children sing also - even when they sing the same verse, over and over and over and OVER again! 

As my husband and I didn't grow up in Christian homes, we never knew most of the hymns that we love to sing now.  There are still a GREAT many that we do not know - but we are working on that!  Therefore, it was such a blessing to us when we began to attend our present church, and we realised that our Pastor kept the same hymn selection for 3-4 weeks in a row.  Doing it this way, allowed our family to memorize many of the words, and melodies off by heart.

After a couple of weeks of attending there, we were kindly gifted with two new hymnals for our family to use at home.  One regular hard-back (we now have another also), and a spiral-bound to keep at the piano.  Anyone who has seen these hymnals will know, that we use sticky tabs to mark to pages of the hymns we know, but at this stage there are sticky tabs hanging out all over the place!  I like this, because when I'm finished doing Bible time with the kids in the mornings, I can just flick through the marked pages and we can sing a selection of hymns that we all know.

When my husband and I were newly saved, we did listen to some contemporary Christian music, and continued to do so for a while.  However, we now prefer to sing/listen to traditional hymns or occasional classical pieces - we no longer listen to any contemporary Christian or non-Christian music.  In our quest to learn more hymns and have the option of having God honouring music to listen to within our home, we bought a CD set of traditional hymns for our family to enjoy.  Even though they are lovely to listen to, each hymn is performed by various professional choirs, and as such, the children (and sometimes my husband and I) couldn't always identify the hymn, or sing along easily.

Over the past few months, our family has benefit so much, from listening/and singing along to the Faithful Word Baptist hymn playlist, via YouTube.  It has been a blessing to be able to listen to traditional, congregational singing, within our home.  Little Meg loves to listen to the playlist especially, and in doing so, it sparked her interest in singing hymns herself (even though she cannot yet talk very well).  As I've already blogged about before, Meg now loves to sing hymns as part of her bed/naptime routine.  Her favourite all-time hymn is "Glory to His Name", as well as current favourite "At the Cross".  The older kids and I have learnt many new hymns this way and continue to do so.  Also, listening along before singing, helps us to stay in tune!

    "I will praise thee, O Lord, among the people:
I will sing unto thee among the nations." ~ Psalms 57:9


5 comments:

1HappyWife said...

A beautiful post! My soul rejoices to read of others that love the good old hymns that minister to the soul/honor God/rebuke/exhort/etc...

I LOVE to hear my little ones sing too :). We can usually tell what Leah is singing by the tune. She makes up her own words but we are understanding more of them every day. I just love it when we hear her sing, "Praise the Lord" in one of the songs she sings. Ruthie picks "Marching to Zion" all the time but it sure helps me to memorize and that is harder the older you get :). When Joe was a little boy he always picked, "Shelter in the Time of Storm" ...
sooooo many wonderful hymns!!!
Oh, I am rambling!!!
Have a wonderful day dear, Friend!!! A pregnancy update would be really neat ... hint, hint :)

Elizabeth Olmstead McBride said...

I love all kinds of music, both Christian and non-Christian music. What is the reason you don't like to listen to contemporary Christian music? John Michael Talbot is probably my favorite singer of contemporary Christian music. I love Johnny Cash, he has some Christian hymns he sings plus his Man Dressed in Black really speaks to us about what it means to follow Christ.

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! You are truly blessed Mrs. Sarah with a gift from above, precious baby, praying always for you and your family. God given me blessing of music since I am into windpipes of flute and piccolo and other instruments but my major is windpipes. And about a couple months ago or so when I was blessed to find Faithful Word Baptist blog I saw those hymns , and never heard of them before, so I tried most of them on my instruments. Awesome, what a true blessing of hymns '''giving PRAISE to the Lord in true worship in His glory! ((" Their is Power , Power wonder working power in the Blood of the Lamb, Their is Power, Power wonder working Power in the Precious Blood of the Lamb'' Redeem, Redeem, Redeem the Blood of the Lamb, Redeem, Redeem, His child forever I am""")). I find myself always in my mind, heart singing out loud in all I do of these hymns. You are saying truth Mrs. Sarah, singing hymns of such is really the best! Brings out the true power of God, all worship belongs to Him! Thank you for your blog, Mrs. Sarah. Blessings, rosita

Elizabeth said...

I, too, love the old hymns. I did not grow up anywhere near church and they hymns were all new to me. Even "Amazing Grace" was foreign. As you mentioned, I also listened to contemporary Christian for a short time after being saved. I would tell myself, "It sounds just like the old music I listened to, but they put Jesus in it." That thought was also what turned my heart to traditional Christian music. I didn't want music that imitated the world; I wanted it to stand out as being distinctly Christian.

Good post. :)

Elizabeth Olmstead McBride said...

If you really want to hear old gospel hymns belted out go to a black (African American) church. I have attended such a church twice. They really get in the spirit and you can hear the singing a mile away. One service was a funeral for a young patient, he was 6 when he died. Rather than sad songs the congregation sang hymns about the glory of being in heaven. You probably don't have such a church in Ireland but for those readers in the U.S. there are lots of churches to choose from.