Tuesday, March 3, 2015

No-Knead, No-Mess, TRUE Sourdough!


Okay, I'm gonna be as blunt as I can about this, 
so hold on to your seats...

Sourdough made with commercial yeast,
 is NOT a true sourdough!!!!!  

I just h.a.t.e it when I check out any sourdough recipe, and I see commercial, fast-action yeast in the ingredients list.  Apparently, using commercial yeast is the *only* way you can have a no-knead, no-fuss well risen sourdough...
NOT TRUE!

The following recipe is one I use almost everyday, and it really is a no-knead, no-fuss and well risen sourdough, that absolutely does NOT have any commercial yeast in it!  My recipe has been adapted from the Breadtopia Rye Sourdough - the original recipe and method was too labour intensive and messy for my liking!!!



Recipe (Added In Order Given)

1 and 3/4 cups of Water
1/3 cup of Sourdough
2 Tbsp Molasses (optional - I actually don't use this most times)
1 and 3/4 cups of Unbleached White Flour
1 and 3/4 cups of Rye Flour








Typically in the evening (about 9:30pm), I would dump all the ingredients into a large ceramic bowl, in the order given, and mix very well with a wooden spoon.  I cover my bowl with a wicker type mat; not airtight, but keeps the bugs out!  A towel or muslin would work just as well.  At this point, I feed my starter again - adding back 1/3 cup of rye flour and 1/3 cup of water and cover.


You Can See How Well The Dough Has Risen,
In Comparison With The Pictures Above

In the morning, I coat my ceramic loaf pan with butter.  I do not use oil for greasing, as I find that my bread still sticks.  Butter definitely is best.  Using a wooden spatula, I scrape the well risen dough into my loaf pan and leave the dough to do a second rise for 1 hour.  I use a timer to make sure I don't forget!  At this stage, I wash all my utensils is very hot soapy water.  Sourdough dough sets like cement - you don't want to let it dry on your utensils!!!!!  When my timer goes off, I *fully* pre-heat my oven to 200C/392F.  Once the oven is ready, pop your bread dough and set the timer again for 45 minutes. 




Once the bread is cooked, take out of the pan immediately (running a knife along if necessary) and leave on a cooling rack to cool completely.  Following these instructions, you should have a nice-looking and yummy tasting sourdough loaf every time...without any kneading, excessive clean up or commercial yeast!!! :)




4 comments:

Leslye Romero said...

Thank you for sharing. I started making sourdough bread again about a month ago and it is so great! Plus it is very easy like you said!

Sister in the Mid-west said...

Thank you for sharing! Your recipe is quite interesting and much different than the way I usually make my sourdough bread. (And, yes, it is real, wild, air borne, noncommercial yeast, sourdough bread. I know your frustration.) I was going to bake bread tomorrow. I will give your recipe a try. I sounds super easy!

Sister in the Mid-west said...

The bread turned out great! I think I might have added an extra 1/4 cup of rye flour. (I lost track of counting when I was measuring.) My dough was quite a bit stiffer than yours appears to be in the pictures. I did add some salt and use whole wheat flour in the place of all purpose. I will definitely write this recipe down and use it more in the future.
Thank you again for the recipe!

Sarah in Ireland said...

Sister in the Mid-West ~ I'm so glad that you tried out the recipe, and even *gladder* still that you had success with it and liked the bread! Thank you for letting me know. :)