Thursday, November 12, 2015

Autumn Gardening



Cutie Patootie

I have been sooooo putting off gardening lately, I guess it has something to do with the fact that the sun hasn't really been out and the weather is getting colder.   I think our garden did well this year, especially considering that practically everything went in late, and others have said that it was generally a bad year on home growers.  So I *am* thanking God for blessing our little garden! 


We had HEAPS of tomatoes, kale and swiss chard.  The kale suffered badly once the caterpillars arrived, but now they are gone, it is regaining, and I hope to get a little longer out of it.  Perhaps I may fleece it too, to stretch the crop further into the winter.  The caterpillars seemed to prefer my kale, to the chard, so perhaps it might be best to grow more of that next year? 



A few weeks ago, I picked the last of my green tomatoes and made three batches of chutney.  Which is now all canned and maturing.  We did a few batches of apple pie filling also.  A friend of mine taught me how to oven-can recently.  Practically nobody "cans" here, and so I was very appreciative of her advice, as my pans just aren't tall enough to water-bath the large quart sized jars.  Plus, her advice was extra good, since you won't find a lot of instruction online; oven-canning is pretty much a taboo topic!



So, on our gardening afternoon, we dug out all the tomato vines, sunflowers, courgettes (zucchini), radishes, basil, squashes and turnips.  We also planted some garlic.  I intend burn my green pile, as my tomatoes had blight and I was told it was best to burn the vines up, to stop the spread of disease.  I think they "caught it" from our potatoes, which also had blight earlier in the year. 



My Helpers!
Amy Was Sick And In Bed


 

Plenty Of Wood To Keep Us Warm And Toasty

Our garden had hardly any weeds!  I am was very excited by this, as weeding alone has been enough to put me off gardening altogether in the past. Just as we got the garden going, we watched this documentary, which explained all about "mulching"!  We used newspaper and/or straw, with wood chips on top.  It kept the weeds right down, helped keep the soil moist, annnnnnnnnnd made the garden look nice and tidy.  My husband was able to get his truck filled with wood chips, for a relatively small sum, and he, my cousin (who was visiting) and the kids all helped to move it onto the garden. 


Nettle Sting!


Our Leeks Did Poorly :(



So that is our gardeing update, in a nutshell!  We had a great time learning how to be better gardeners, and everyone is already looking forward to planting again in the springtime.  In the meantime, we will still get to enjoy our dark, leafy greens and watching the garlic grow! 



Beautiful BLUE Sky in November!



Pretty Autumn Colours

No comments: